Biomaterials development

I’d be interested to hear others’ thoughts on during which stage of biomaterials development they think researchers should reach out and contact companies in order to establish partnerships or license their technologies?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Inês

Olá Inês,

I guess there are no golden rule for this. Any “new” biomaterial is a huge burden for the company to get it to the market, as usually biomaterial is not for sale - it has to become a part of a medical device (and then you have 2017/745 with the Annexes…and then notified bodies… and then…).

So if you get something VERY revolutionary, you should at least make a provisional US patent app, it does not cost much as you have 1 year to contact companies to see if there is an interest. Here of course the IPR status has to be clear (who owns the invention)?

If there is just an improvement of existing biomaterial, this might be easier to market. But this depends on the case.
BEST, Michael

Hello Ines,

I agree with Michael on filing a US patent provisional, especially if you intend to license the material/chemistry/technology and want to have the IP protected. Most academic institutions have a office of licensing and ventures which oversees tech transfer from research to external companies. Then can often fund the cost for the provisional, which gives you a year to gather supporting data, publications, and other information that will help your patent get reviewed, revised, and approved.

Prior to the provisional deadline, you will want to either reach out to companies that are open to taking on the patent costs and technology development, or more likely you will need reach out to VC funds to spin off the technology and pay the patent costs. And by you, I mean the office that regulates licensing, since they usually have the lawyers and writing team necessary to get all of the paperwork and fees organized.

The process can be slow, with some patents taking years for debating novelty and revisions, unless the technology is very convincing to be unique and promising. That’s why it helps to have a good paper trail to show the advances of your biomaterial.

Best,
Evan

1 Like