DF Williams' definition of Biomaterials - 'a non-viable material'. What's your view?

Hi all,

Looking at the changing scenario in engineering of Biomaterials (like the use of bioactive materials) and their uses, I would like a dicussion on DF Williams’ definition of Biomaterials, which defines them as ‘a non-viable material used in a medical device, intended to interact with biological systems’.

1. Are we still sticking with ‘non-viable materials’?
  2. If a device is not a medical device, but is implanted in the human body for other uses (e.g. chips for tracking, etc.), will the material used be called a biomaterial or not?

Dear Vishwa Shrivastava

The definition you mention seems too limited to me. The Elsevier journal Biomaterials, which I believe is the highest ranked journal dealing specifically with Biomaterials, presents the following definition: “A biomaterial is now defined as a substance that has been engineered to take a form which, alone or as part of a complex system, is used to direct, by control of interactions with components of living systems, the course of any therapeutic or diagnostic procedure.”.

With kind regards
Josef