Sustainable labs - are we doing everything we can?

Are we doing everything we can to create sustainable labs?
Research institutions around the world are now looking for sustainable solutions of operating without compromising science, in what is a global and growing movement.
I3S GreenLab is a recent initiative focused on the re-evaluation of everyday lab practices to identify and address key points that can positively impact on the Carbon footprint of the institution. In the following days we will let you know all about our ongoing initiatives.
I welcome you to join us with your ideas and thoughts so that we can create a community that can work together towards this big challenge.

1 Like

Towards sustainability and environment friendly I have an idea on usage of plastic as an interactive app. Gram book every gram of plastic counts.

Derived from instagram gram and Facebook book. I can discuss in more detail, and can reach me through my email or through this forum.

Thanks and Regards,
Manohar

My grad school chem department started an acetone recycling program for acetone designated for cleaning glassware. There was talk about doing it for other solvents as well, like DCM. It was a good step to reducing the overall use of organic solvents by labs on campus.

Dear all,
Those are excellent initiatives. Please go head and use this forum as brainstorming to list further ideas on how to bring more sustainability in our daily work. See you soon! Olivier

Dear all, here at i3S we have been focusing on improving the energy expenditure. Only recently I learn how much energy a fume hood spends (the same as 3.5 homes annually). This can be really diminished just be shuting the sash!! Another very important aspect is Ultrafreezers. We are now assessing the change of -80ºC to -70ºC. I would love to hear what your institutions are doing about this.

Thanks,
Fabíola Costa

Hi Mahonar,

could you elaborate a little more about it? It sound really interesting. Here in i3S we are studying ways of repurposing plastic rather than simply send it to recycling. We are also assessing it is possible to send isopor and specific plastic to local molding industries. Does anyone have experience in this kind of initiatives?

Cheers,

Fabíola

Dear all,

I would like to hear if people have been trying to reduce single-use plastic consumables, which are for instance used a lot in cell culture labs (pipettes, flasks, tubes). Thanks a lot

The thought here is to say Hi to the plastic (inclusive rather than simply an object) with a theme of seven days with seven different color-coding (V I B G Y O R). -The end-user of the plastic is individual if the segregation starts at the individual level, recycling of plastic might be much easier and results in the effective usage of plastic. In general, Plastics types are categorized into 7 different types so if the people know the which kind of the plastic they are using on a regular basis and bin them into suitable boxes, the cost can be greatly reduced and most of the plastic can be recycled in a more efficient manner.
A mobile application: to create an interface with voice recognition, camera and or barcode reader, and the corresponding type of plastic displayed on the screen with a suitable score. (Free and or paid subscribers) A. PLASTICITY: Gram book users can update the plastic usage score on Facebook and or Instagram (Daily score or weekly usage score or monthly usage score or yearly usage score)